Everything you need to know about Respawn's upcoming battle royale game.
Our Apex Legends guide contains everything you need to know about Apex Legends and details all characters, abilities, the map and gameplay footage.
A brand new Battle Royale game by the makers of Titanfall has just landed, and it goes by the name of Apex Legends. It’s like the lovechild of both Overwatch and Call of Duty: Blackout with its selection of playable heroes with unique abilities and polished first person shooter mechanics.
To get you up to speed on everything to do with the game ahead of its surprise release, we’ve put together a guide to Apex Legends which contains everything you’ll need to know.
Do expect this guide to be updated over time as we get more hands on time with the game – stay tuned!
Essential Apex Legends Coverage
- Apex Legends: Guide – Our core guide to the game
- Apex Legends: Best Weapons – Every weapon’s stats examined
- Apex Legends: Map Guide – Getting to grips with the battleground
- Apex Legends: Best Loot Spots – How to gear up fast
- Apex Legends: Best Characters – An overview of every Legend
- Apex Legends: Abilities – Every passive, tactical and ultimate ability
- Apex Legends: Best FPS settings – How to get a performance boost on PC
- Apex Legends: Controls – Controls for playing on PC, PS4 or Xbox One
- Apex Legends: Battle Pass Guide – What’s coming with Season play
- Apex Legends: System Requirements – Specs to run the game on PC
- Apex Legends: Download / Install – How to get started on all platforms
Apex Legends Characters and Abilities List
There are a total of eight heroes in Apex Legends, each equipped with their own unique abilities and gear.
Here’s a brief overview of them all:
- Passive skill: Encore! – Automatically drop a decoy and cloak for 5 seconds when knocked down.
- Active skill: Psyche Out – Send out a holographic decoy to confuse the enemy.
- Ultimate: Vanishing Act – Mirage deploys a team of decoys to distract enemies while he cloaks.
- Passive skill: Nox Vision – You gain threat vision on enemies when moving through your gas.
- Active skill: Nox Gas Trap – Place up to 6 canisters that release deadly Nox has when shot or triggered by enemies.
- Ultimate: Nox Gas Grenade – Blanket a large area in Nox gas.
- Passive skill: Doubletime – Taking fire while sprinting makes you move faster for a brief time.
- Active skill: Smoke Launcher – Fire a high velocity smoke canister that explodes into a smoke wall on impact.
- Ultimate: Rolling Thunder – Call in an artillery strike that slowly creeps across the landscape.
- Passive skill: Voices from the Void – You hear voices when danger approaches.
- Active skill: Into the Void – Reposition quickly through the safety of the ‘void’ space, avoiding all damage.
- Ultimate: Dimensional Rift – Link 2 locations with portals for 60 seconds.
- Passive skill: Insider Knowledge – Scan a survey beacon to reveal the ring’s next location.
- Active skill: Grappling Hook – Grapple to get to out-of-reach places quickly.
- Ultimate: Zipline Gun – Creates a zipline for everyone to use.
- Passive skill: Combat Medic – Revive knocked down teammates faster while protected by a shield wall. Healing items are used 25% faster.
- Active skill: D.O.C. Heal Drone – The Drone of Compassion (DOC) automatically heals those near it over time.
- Ultimate: Care Package – Call in a drop full of high quality defensive gear.
- Passive skill: Gun Shield – Aiming down sights deploys a gun shield that blocks incoming fire
- Active skill: Dome of Protection – Throw down a dome-shield that blocks attacks for 15 seconds
- Ultimate: Defensive Bombardment – Call in a concentrated mortar strike on a position you mark with smoke.
- Passive skill: Tracker – Foes leave behind clues for you to find.
- Active skill: Eye of the Allfather – Briefly reveal enemies, traps, and clues through all structures in front of you.
- Ultimate: Beast of the Hunt – Transform into the ultimate hunter. Enhances your senses, allowing you to see cold tracks and move faster.
- Apex Legends: Bangalore Guide – How to play Bangalore
- Apex Legends: Bloodhound Guide – Tips for mastering the Legend
- Apex Legends: Caustic Guide – How to play the toxic Caustic
- Apex Legends: Gibraltar Guide – How to play the defensive powerhouse
- Apex Legends: Lifeline Guide – Help playing the support Legend
- Apex Legends: Mirage Guide – Getting started with Mirage
- Apex Legends: Pathfinder Guide – Tips for grappling with Pathfinder
- Apex Legends: Wraith Guide – How to play the stealth-focused Legend
Apex Legends Map
Below we’ve linked an image of the map you’ll be doing battle on.
- Hydro Dam
- Skull Town
- Slum Lakes
- The Pit
- Water Treatment
Apex Legends Overview
- Developers: It’s being developed by Respawn, best known in recent years as the creators of Titanfall.
- Platforms: Apex Legends is out now on PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. There’s no news on a Switch version at this point – sorry Nintendo fans.
- Genre: Apex Legends is a battle royale game (think Fortnite or PUBG), and sees players do battle to the death en-masse within the Titanfall universe.
- Titans: Titans do not feature in Apex Legends, instead, you’ve got heroes with different abilities so that’s something right?
- Free to Play: It will be free to play, although you’re able to spend real world currency on cosmetic items in the in-game store.
- Heroes / Classes: There are a total of eight different heroes / classes in Apex Legends, and each one has its own unique ability set.
- Player Count: Matches hold a maximum of 60 players.
- Teams: The maximum team size in Apex Legends will be three players per team. There’s also a solo mode if you’d prefer to be a lone wolf.
- Engine: Apex Legends runs on a modified version of Valve’s Source engine, just like the two existing Titanfall games.
Apex Legends Gameplay
If you’re interested in seeing what Apex Legends has to offer, we’ve linked some gameplay footage down below.
Video by jackfrags
Video by Daequan Loco