The vast majority of endgame activities will now be open to everyone.
Bungie has admitted that it made a mistake locking certain endgame content behind the Curse of Osiris DLC and preventing players who don’t own the expansion from participating in these activities. It has promised that changes will be made moving forwards.
The news was confirmed in an official blog post which addressed Bungie’s reasoning behind its decision and what changes are planned for the future.
For those of you unfamiliar with the situation, here’s a quick breakdown of the activities players cannot participate in if they don’t own the Curse of Osiris.
The Curse of Osiris DLC raises the max Power Level cap from 305 to 330. This means that requirements for endgame activities across the board have been raised respectively, such as the Leviathan Raid and weekly Nightfall Strike.
What’s frustrating to players without the DLC is the fact that they cannot participate in the tougher Prestige versions of the Nightfall and Raid, as their max Power Level is capped at 305 and entry now requires 330. In order to get there, you need to own the expansion.
On top of this, the Heroic Strike playlist introduced with the Curse of Osiris is also locked, despite only requiring a Power Level of 270+. It doesn’t stop here, as Seasonal PVP playlists like Trials of the Nine or Iron Banner would utilise maps from the new DLC, meaning that they too would be incompatible with players who didn’t own the content.
Now you’re up to date with the situation, here’s how Bungie is addressing player frustration at this endgame content lockout.
Endgame Hotfix Changes
- The Prestige Leviathan Raid is being brought back down to Power Level 300. It’s rewards will drop down to match this Power Level. All players will gain access to the Prestige Raid.
- This will also allow all players to complete the final step for the Legend of Acrius Exotic Shotgun quest.
- Trials of the Nine will only require Curse of Osiris when the featured map is from the DLC. For all other weeks it will be available to everyone.
- Trials of the Nine rewards that launched with Destiny 2 will be accessible to all players.
- New Seasonal Rewards and Armour Ornaments introduce with the Curse of Osiris will require ownership of the DLC to earn.
- The Prestige Nightfall will require ownership of Curse of Osiris.
- ”The Prestige” Achievement/Trophy will only reference the Prestige Raid.
- In the future, a 3rd difficulty will be added to all Prestige activities so that this tougher version of endgame content will stay relevant to all players following DLC releases.
- Normal Nightfall Strikes will only require Curse of Osiris when it features a Curse of Osiris map. For all other weeks it will be available to everyone.
- Time limited events: Iron Banner, Faction Rally and The Dawning will be made available to all players.
- Season 2’s first Faction Rally has been postponed to ensure everyone can participate. A returning date has not been confirmed.
All of these changes are expected to go live after the scheduled maintenance later today (Tuesday 12th December 2017). Servers will be down between 07:00AM PST and 14:00PM PST, with the hotfix deployed once it comes to a close.