Everything we know about the new item coming to Fortnite.
Our Fortnite: Battle Royale Jetpack guide contains everything you need to know about the new item, with tips and tricks to help you master this new Backpack item.
The Jetpack has finally arrived in game since it’s initial reveal a long time ago. It was originally scrapped because of balancing issues within Epic’s internal tests, but now a revamped version is now available to find in-game.
Not only does the Jetpack present a brand new way to scale heights, get the drop on your opponents and break your fall, it’s also the first of a brand new category – Backpacks. These take up an inventory slot and attach to your back (naturally), providing more of a boost to your utility than firepower.
Below we’ve put together everything you need to know about the Jetpack, including an overview of where you’ll find one on the map, how it works and some tips and tricks to help you master it on the battlefield.
Towards the bottom of the page we’ve also kept the original story for those of you interested in the first reveal and our initial reactions to its announcement. It seems all of our early speculation wasn’t a complete write off!
When you’re done here, make sure you have a read through our Season 4 guide if you want to catch up on all the latest content that’s been introduced to the game. Otherwise, if you’re struggling with the game’s weekly challenges, our Weekly Challenges list page has you covered!
The Jetpack’s now live in-game!
Take the battle sky high! Buckle up and lift off with the new Limited Time Item, Jetpack. pic.twitter.com/LtGVnWXMDI
; Fortnite (@FortniteGame) May 23, 2018
Read on below if you want an overview of how it’ll work, where you can find it and how to take advantage of its thrusters.
Here’s everything you need to know about the new Jetpack!
- Legendary Rarity.
- Found in Treasure Chests.
- The Jetpack is the first of a new item type: Backpacks.
- Backpacks take an inventory slot (like weapons & consumables) and can be moved to different positions.
- Only one Backpack can be carried at a time.
- If you pick up a different Backpack, it will be automatically swapped with the one currently equipped.
- When a Backpack is fully consumed, it will be automatically destroyed.
- While a Backpack is equipped, your Back Bling cosmetics will be hidden.
- Back Bling will be reapplied when the Backpack is no longer equipped.
- The Jetpack is engaged by jumping while in mid-air, providing additional mobility.
- While flying, there is a limited duration it can be used before it must charge again.
- Recharge begins when the Jetpack is not in use.
- You can not enter Targeting Mode while in the air.
- On controller, using the Targeting Mode input will trigger the Jetpack.
Video by DeltaXD Gaming
Jetpack: Tips and Tricks
Here’s a few things to bear in mind when using the Jetpack in Fortnite.
- As we’ve pointed out above, you’ll only be able to find Jetpacks in Treasure Chests. So if you want to get your hands on one, make sure you scour every location for the glow of golden chests!
- When you’re flying with the Jetpack, make sure you don’t disengage the thrusters when you’re high up. Crash landing from a height will kill you instantly.
- Remember that the Jetpack doesn’t give you a huge movement speed burst. In reality, it’s actually rather tame. With this in mind, it’s important to focus on using the Jetpack as a utility tool that’ll help you in situations which would normally present a bit of trouble. Use it to scale heights quickly or break your fall from a great height.
- It’s best to use the Jetpack in short bursts as prolonged use will leave you vulnerable in the air.
- Keep an eye on your fuel gauge as once it runs out you won’t be able to use your Jetpack! Note that it recharges once it’s not in use.
ORIGINAL STORY – First Announcement
The Jetpack was revealed in a teaser image released late last night. It was posted to Imgur but we’ve partially reproduced it for you here:
It’s not yet clear whether or not this item will be an alternative to the glider which typically takes you down to battle from the party bus, or will act an item that can actually be used in combat gameplay.
- 1. Chapter 2: Season 2 guide – Fortnite Chapter 2: Season 2 guide
- 2. Best Settings – Fortnite: Best Settings (PC, PS4, Xbox)
- 3. Best Keybinds 2019 – Fortnite: Best Keybinds 2019
- 4. System Requirements – Fortnite: System Requirements (PC and Mac)
- 5. Land Faster – Fortnite: How to land faster
Over on Reddit, the community has been busy picking over what this might mean for the game. Community speculation has focused on the following possibilities:
- The icon suggests this is a Legendary item, which would lend a great deal of weight to the idea that this will be an item you can actually make use of on the ground.
- It seems likely that it will function in a similar fashion to the jump pads that already exist in the game, albeit with a greater degree of directional control and extended use.
- It’s hard to make a solid guess about whether you’ll be able to use weapons or not while firing the jetpack. If you need both hands to hold it then shooting wouldn’t make sense. If it’s a fire-and-forget boost, however, then being able to fire while airborne doesn’t seem quite so unintuitive.
- In a recent developer update, Epic alluded to a possible “floor is lava” limited time event in a future content release. In a world where you have to avoid the ground, an unlimited Jetpack sounds like a pretty handy device – perhaps we’ll see a dual-release?
That’s all for the first edition of our Jetpack guide! We’ll be updating this article as soon as we get more information from Epic, so check back soon.