A few new tidbits about the game's backstory.
Overwatch game director Jeff Kaplan answered a bunch of fan questions from Twitter. You can watch the video below, but if you want a quick overview of some of the most interesting points we’ve got you covered.
Here’s the standout stuff.
- Junkrat’s treasure will be revealed…but is it even his treasure in the first place?
- Why is Widowmaker blue? She was originally married to an Overwatch operative, but was brainwashed and used to assassinate her own husband. Eventually she was recruited by the Talon organisation, who performed some freaky experiments on her to lower her heart rate and turn her into the incredible sniper she is today. The side effects of this are her blue skin and cold personality.
- What is a “toblestein”, and why is Zarya always going for it? It’s a made-up word, it’s actually Russian for ‘Fire at will’.
- There’s a lot more coming out about Reaper’s story in the near future.
- Originally the overtime mechanic wasn’t in Overwatch. It was frustrating when the timer ran out just as you thought you’d got the upper hand though, and that’s why they introduced it to the game.
- They remain open minded about Overwatch coming to Mac.