Details of every hero change being tested right now.
Details of all the Hanzo buffs and other hero changes that are currently being tested on the Overwatch PTR.
A new patch was applied to the Overwatch PTR yesterday evening, introducing changes for a number of heroes. While there are minor changes for Genji, Soldier: 76 and Reinhardt – detailed in the full patch notes further below – there are more meaningful changes for Hanzo, Reaper and Orisa.
Hanzo mains will relish his newfound ability to rattle off arrows at a higher pace and hold their charge during a wall climb. Additionally, Blizzard have even taken their first steps towards making Reaper relevant again thanks to a major Wraith Form buff which now replenishes his ammo entirely.
Perhaps the most surprising change though involves a damage nerf to Orisa’s Fusion Driver, coupled with a cooldown reduction to her Protective Barrier. This means that although she’ll spew out less damage in general, she’ll be able to pop her shield more frequently in battle, giving her a boost in survivability.
There’s the usual handful of bug fixes as well, but the only one that’s really worth paying attention to involves Winston’s Primal Rage interaction with Ana’s Biotic Grenade. Previously, her grenade would prevent his Ultimate from replenishing his health, but not anymore. Our favourite monkey scientist only seems to grow stronger with every change Blizzard makes. Perhaps we’ll see him rise up the tier list as a result?
We’ll be testing out all of these changes later on this morning, and will be bringing you our take on how they impact the battlefield a little later on.
Until then, here’s the full patch notes straight from Blizzard:
UPDATE: Our impressions piece of the all-new Hanzo is live now, and we basically think he’s a bit broken in his current state…
Custom Games and Game Browser
- Players can now disable secondary fire and secondary weapons in Custom Games
- You can now disable one Symmetra ultimate while leaving the other active
- Removed the attack cooldown from Genji’s wall climbing ability, allowing him to engage with enemies immediately after completing a climb
Developer Comments: This is a quality of life change to make wall climbing feel better.
- Removed the attack cooldown from Hanzo’s wall climbing ability, allowing him to engage with enemies immediately after completing a climb Storm Bow
- Increased charge speed by 10%
- Charged arrows now maintain their charge after climbing a wall, provided the button is continuously held
Developer Comments: Decreasing Hanzo’s draw time gives him more overall DPS, while also letting him fully charge an arrow and more quickly return to full movement speed when needed. And, like the change to Genji’s wall climbing, this is a quality of life change that will make climbing feel better.
- Damage reduced by 15%
- Protective Barrier
- Cooldown reduced from 12 seconds to 8 seconds
Developer Comments: To help Orisa maintain the front line for her team, we’re reducing the cooldown of her Protective Barrier. This change also helps her reposition the barrier more easily when needed. To compensate for this new defensive strength, we’re reducing her Fusion Driver’s damage, as it felt too high.
- Ammo is now entirely refilled when Wraith Form is used
Developer Comments: Wraith Form is typically used as an escape ability after firing. This change gives Reaper a fighting chance if an enemy chases him down as he uses it.
- Effective height has been lowered from 3 meters to 2 meters
- The height threshold of objects that Earthshatter can “climb” has been lowered from 3 meters to 2 meters, making Earthshatter less likely to climb tall objects as it “crawls” along the ground.
Developer Comments: Earthshatter tended to climb unexpectedly high, frequently hitting targets that were significantly above the ground. These changes help the ability stay more grounded.
More great Overwatch guides:
Heavy Pulse Rifle:
- Bullet damage decreased from 20 to 19
Developer Comments: Soldier:76 is in a much better place lately, but his damage output was making him a must pick, compared to similar roles.
- Fixed an issue that prevented voice lines from being heard during the Play of the Game
- Fixed an issue causing shields to display the wrong team color during the Play of the Game
- Added new Kill Feed icons for environmental kills and a number of abilities
- Fixed a bug causing the introduction before 1v1 Mystery Duels to be interrupted
- Fixed a bug that allowed bots to become stuck around the well on Ilios
- Fixed a bug that caused Lucio’s healing and speed song auras to be inaccurately projected
- Fixed a bug that prevented Orisa’s Fortify from blocking the alternate fire from Lucio’s Sonic Amplifier
- Fixed a bug that prevented Orisa’s Protective Barrier from deploying in certain situations
- Fixed an issue that affected some graphics cards, causing an inaccurate ammo count to be displayed with Pharah’s Mechaqueen and Raptorion skins equipped
- Fixed a bug that could prevent two charging Reinhardts from being able to kill each other
- Fixed a bug that prevented Winston’s Primal Rage ultimate from restoring his health when hit by Ana’s Biotic Grenade
- Fixed a bug that caused Tracer to move oddly when she first appeared in the tutorial
- Fixed an issue causing asymmetry between pillars on the Ruins capture point on Ilios
- Fixed a bug that allowed Sombra to reach unintended locations on Watchpoint: Gibraltar