Our PUBG: Erangel guide contains tips, best places to land, vehicles and the best weapons for playing on PUBG’s first map.
Erangel is the original PUBG map, characterised by its open woodland areas, steep hillsides, dense cities and infamous deathtraps such as the Military Base. It’s everything you’d expect from the game’s first map, built around the core PUBG mechanics, and it’s filled with a diverse mixture of locations and zones that’ll test every aspect of your survival skills.
As Erangel’s a large map built up of many different locales, it can be extremely difficult to figure out where you should be landing to start your looting spree first, where you’re most likely to find some life-saving vehicles and how to approach each location from an optimal position.
In this article, we’ve put together a comprehensive guide to Erangel which will help guide you through every aspect of the map. Hopefully by the next time you’re hurtling towards Pochinki and aiming to outlast 99 other players, you’ll have a much better idea of how to do so – and potentially earn a Chicken Dinner in the process.
When you’re done here, our enormous PUBG guide contains everything you could possibly need to know about the game!
Erangel: Map Overview
Erangel’s a large map and it can be a pretty intimidating space to drop into if you’re new to the game. Below we’ve broken down some key aspects of the map so you can get a better idea of its layout.
- As a general rule of thumb, the larger the zone appears on the map, the more attention it’s likely to attract. That’s not to say this is the case 100% of the time, but landing in dense cities such as Pochinki or Georgopol is almost certainly going to set you for a very early fight.
- The most prominent areas on the map are likely to hold some of the juiciest loot. This is largely due to the sheer number of buildings you’ll find in these locations, and chances are you’ll stumble into some powerful weaponry if you loot hard enough.
- Some rather inconspicuous spots are absolute death traps on Erangel. These include Prison, School, Sosnovka Military Base and the Quarry to name the most notorious of the lot. They might seem small and unsuspecting, but there’s an unwritten rule that seems to compel players to flock to these locations for an early-game brawl.
- Note the numerous bridges that are dottered around Erangel. Wily players will camp these spots and lie in wait for players who find themselves forced to sprint from the constricting circle. With this in mind, it’s best to cross bridges well before the circle closes in to avoid these dangerous scenarios.
- What the map doesn’t show you are the underground bunkers that lurk just beneath the surface. You’ll find entrances to these network of tunnels on square F4 of the map.
- Don’t be deceived by open areas such as Ruins and the Shooting Range. They might seem tempting to start off in, but in reality you’re dropping into a zone that provides zero cover. Fail to pick up a weapon early on and you’re very likely toast.
- Areas on the outskirts of the map such as Lipovka can be brilliant starting places, but you’ll have to bear the storm circle in mind when looting away. Make sure you leave plenty of time to get on the move before it starts burning away at your health bar.
More PUBG guides
- Guide – All of our essential, in-depth PUBG guide content in one place – PUBG: Guide – Tips, tricks, tactics and strategy advice
- Erangel – How to get ahead on the original – and arguably best – PUBG map – PUBG: Erangel guide
- Miramar – Our guide to dominating the competition on PUBG’s desert map – PUBG: Miramar guide
- Sanhok – How to thrive and survive on the new small-scale PUBG map – PUBG: Sanhok guide – tips, tricks and strategy advice
- Loot Maps – Visual guides to finding the best loot fast on all three maps – PUBG: Loot map
Erangel: Best places to land
Here’s a list of the best places to bag some loot when you’ve just landed.
- Georgopol – A huge area that stretches across the coastline, Georgopol’s a pretty popular destination thanks to its plentiful loot spawns. We’d recommend rummaging around the warehouses here for a solid shot at picking up some high tier armour and weapons.
- Lipovka – We haven’t seen this location crop up a lot in other guides, but we’re huge fans of this coastal town. It’s far from the center of the map – and so easy access is dependent on the plane’s flight path – but it’s usually very quiet. As a result you’ll have a wealth of buildings to loot all by yourself – hopefully…
- Pochinki – Positioned right in the center of the map, Pochinki’s certainly one of Erangel’s most famous locales. It provides a maze of houses, making it a hotly contested area. If you can make it out unscathed though you’ll be very nicely geared up.
- Prison, School and Hospital -If you’re after an onslaught from the moment you touch ground, then these spots are the way to go!
- Military Base – You’re guaranteed to find a high concentration of exceptionally powerful loot if you step foot in the large military base. If it’s under the flight path though, you’re also guaranteed some serious resistance as you go about trying to sweep up all of the top tier goodies. It’s worth taking the time to travel here even if you’re not directly under the plane’s flight path. This way you’re less likely to come across enemies, and all the loot will be yours for the taking.
- Yasnaya Polyana (and other similarly large cities) – Large towns and cities such as Novoreponye, Rozhok and Yasnaya Polyana all make for a great collection of places to land and loot. Keep an eye out for warehouses, churches and diners in these locations as they usually hold some hidden gems too.
There isn’t really a “best” place to search for vehicles as the spawn zones are pretty even and very spread out. You’re likely to bump into a car or bike if you follow a road for a while though, and the same goes for boats as you explore the map’s coastline.
In terms of what vehicles you can commandeer on Erangel, here’s everything that’s available to you:
- UAZ (Closed top)
- Motorcycle (Sidecar)
- Dacia 1300
- PG-117 (Boat)
- Aquarail (Jet Ski)
Below you’ll find a list of all the weapons that you’ll be able to find in Erangel. Any weapons marked with an asterisk are only available through Supply Crates.
- AUG A3*
- Flare gun
- Karabiner 98 Kurz
- Micro UZI
- Mini 14
- Mk14 EBR*
- Tommy Gun
- VSS Vintorez