Tips and tricks for emerging victorious from your first Tavern Brawl.
Hearthstone’s very first Tavern Brawl has just gone live on the European servers, with other regions to follow in the very near future. Titled ‘Showdown at Blackrock Mountain’, the first of these weekly match-ups features a battle between Ragnaros and Nefarian, with each player randomly chosen to represent one side of the showdown.
Note that the tips below represent a guide in progress. We’ll be adding more match-up tips for each Hero in the hours ahead, so that you’ll be prepared to take charge of the match, whichever side of the board you end up on. Let us know what you learn in the comments, and we’ll be sure to add your insight to this guide too.
As a general note though, we’ve played several times since the feature went live, and have found it much easier to win with Nefarian. Consider re-queuing if all you want to do is get your free card pack nice and fast.
Tips for playing as Nefarian
Hero Power: Wild Magic – “Add a random spell from any class into your hand. It costs (0).”
– Nefarian begins the fight on Turn 6 which grants him a sizeable headstart in the match up.
– Using his Hero Power aggressively each turn seems key for achieving an easy victory.
– Tapping for a spell each turn, and otherwise spending your cards out as efficiently and quickly as possible seems to be a very successful strategy.
– All in all, it pays to take an extremely aggressive approach to this fight when playing Nefarian, and finish Ragnaros as quickly as possible before he can stabilise.
How to play as Ragnaros
Hero Power: Molten Rage: “Summon a 5/1 Magma Rager“
– Ragnaros begins the match wielding Sulfuras, a 2/6 weapon
– Unlike Nefarian, Ragnaros starts off at square one from a Mana perspective, but typically has a much lighter hand to play with too.
– Consider Ragnaros to be the control deck to Nefarian‘s aggro. Deal with your opposite number’s threats as efficiently as possible until you can stabilise the board.
– It seems that getting rid of Ragnaros’ weapon in order to trigger his powerful eight damage Hero Power is essential if you’re to overcome Nefarian in the long run.
We’ll be updating this guide throughout the evening as we discover new strategies. Let us know your successful strategies and we’ll add them to this article.