Where to find the rarest fish in Red Dead Redemption 2.
Our Red Dead Redemption 2 Legendary Fish locations page explains where to find and catch all legendary fish in the game, as well as which bait will increase your chances.
Red Dead Redemption 2 is home to a ridiculous array of activities. You can hunt animals for their pelts and craft unique outfits, or pick special herbs and mix them all together to create a stat buffing concoction. Amidst these optional activities lies a true gem, and a videogame classic – fishing.
Fishing functions largely as you’d expect. Find a body of water, whip your rod out, stick some bait on it, wait for a fish to bite and reel it in. For some cowboys it’s the relaxing side of fishing they love, and for others it’s the anticipation that leads up to a big catch. One thing that every budding gill-grappler’s really aiming for though, are the bragging rights earned by catching some of the rarest fish in the waters.
There are a total of 14 legendary fish in Red Dead Redemption 2 to show off your prowess, and we’ve put together a guide that’ll take you through how to find all legendary fish, what bait to use and how to unlock fishing in the first place.
- All Fence locations – RDR2
- All Trapper locations – RDR2
- All Treasure Map Locations and solutions – RDR2
- Camp needs guide – RDR2
- Trinkets guide – RDR2
- Best horses guide – RDR2
- Cheat codes guide – RDR2
How do I unlock fishing?
To kickstart your fishing career in Red Dead Redemption 2, you need to reach a certain point in the story. Unfortunately there’s no way around this, so saddle up and get ready to spend a hefty chunk of time in the game until you’re finally let loose on the waters.
First things first, you need to reach the story mission “Pouring Forth Oil III” in which you’ll be tasked with taking Jack fishing. Once you’ve completed it, you’ll be free to go about your time fishing at any body of water in the game world.
How to get Special Lures
To catch the very best fish the game has to offer, you need to use particularly fancy bait.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Special Lake Lure
- Special River Lure
- Special Swamp Lure
Thankfully they aren’t difficult to obtain. You can buy any of these lures from the bait store in Lagras, New Hanover for $20 each.
Although you can use any bait for any type of special fish (strangely), you will significantly increase your chances by matching the type of bait, with the type of fish. River bait, will better attract river fish, for example.
All Legendary Fish locations
Before you set off, you’ll want to obtain the special Legendary fish map and quest first. To get them, talk to the stranger at Gills Landing, which is East of Flatneck Station on the coast.
- Legendary Steelhead Trout – Located in the very North Eastern corner of the map, above Brandywine Drop. Use a River Lure.
- Legendary Perch – Smack bang in the middle of Elysian Pool, located South of Annesburg. Use a Lake Lure.
- Legendary Muskie – The Eastern tip of Van Horn Trading Post, go to the pier. Use a River Lure.
- Legendary Longnose Gar – South of the special bait shop in Lagras, just North of Lakay. Use a Swamp Lure.
- Legendary Bluegill – East side of Flat Iron Lake. At the coastline, between Rhodes and Braithwaite Manor. Use a Lake Lure.
- Legendary Chain Pickerel – North West of Flatneck Station in the Dakota River, just before the river itself bends around to the West. Use a River Lure.
- Legendary Large Sturgeon – West of Saint Denis and South of Caliga Hall, where the Kamassa River meets the Lannaheche River. Use a River Lure.
- Legendary Largemouth Bass – West side of San Luis River, just South East of Lake Don Julio. Use a Lake Lure.
- Legendary Smallmouth Bass – West of Strawberry, on the East side of Owanjila lake. Use a Lake Lure.
- Legendary Rock Bass – In Aurora Basin, at the Northern tip of Lower Montana River, West of Blackwater. Use a Lake Lure.
- Legendary Redfin Pickerel – In Stillwater Creek, West of Thieves Landing. Use a Lake Lure.
- Legendary Sockeye Salmon – Lake Isabella, Western Ambarino. Use a Lake Lure.
- Legendary Bullhead Catfish – Western inlet of Sisika Penitentiary Island, far East side of the map. Use a River Lure.
- Legendary Catfish – Only once you’ve captured and mailed off all 13 other Legendary fish will you be in with a shot of capturing the greatest of them all. Jeremy will invite you to meet up at his fishing hut, and you will depart from Rio Bravo on a special fishing trip to catch this monstrous fish!
This video by HarryNinetyFour shows you where to find every single Legendary Fish and it’s a really big help.