Updated: Our Trophy and Achievement guide now includes Defense challenge tips!
It wasn’t until around halfway through Overwatch’s closed beta period that the game’s Achievements were added, and very little changed in the run up to launch. Now that the game is out, of course, we’ve also got the PlayStation 4’s Trophy system to think about, and so we thought it was probably sensible for us to go back and give our guide a thorough looking over to make sure it’s as useful as it can be.
What kind of Trophies and Achievements are there in Overwatch, then, and why would you want to go to the trouble of working through them? Well, rather than just adding to your profile’s tally of significant milestones, all of the challenges you complete in Overwatch will actually reward you with a funky new Spray that you can use to stamp your mark on the world. It’s only a bit of cosmetic flair, but it’s something to work towards.
The good news – for those of us who prefer to specialise in a particular Hero or combat role in the game – is that there are multiple ways of unlocking every one of these Sprays. This is not just helpful for the player with only so much time to play, it’s also in keeping with Blizzard’s explicit desire not to force people to play or grind out gameplay content using a certain Hero – and one they may not enjoy or excel at playing.
In our Overwatch Acheivement and Trophy guide, we’ll outline all of the challenges that you can currently work towards. We’ll also be regularly updating this guide in the weeks to come, with tips to help you tick off some of the trickier tasks at hand. For general gameplay help, make sure you take a look at the features we’ve linked throughout. These will take you through to guides for every Hero in the game, and you’ll find them indispensable for finishing some of the trickier tasks off.
Editor’s note: July update #1 – Apologies for the delay in updating this article, but we’ve now got a few extra tips to help you complete some of the more frustrating Defense Trophies and Achievements in the game. We’ll update the other sections as soon as we can. If you’ve discovered any handy shortcuts, we’d love to hear about them in the comments and we’ll include them in our next update!
|Blackjack||Earn 21 postgame cards in quick or competitive play.||Thanks Spray|
|Centenary||Win 100 games in quick or competitive play||Victory Spray|
|Decked Out||Collect 50 unlocks for a single hero||Oops Spray|
|Decorated||Earn 50 postgame medals in quick or competitive play.||Well Played Spray|
|Level 10||Reach level 10||Forge Onward Spray|
|Level 25||Reach level 25||Rise Spray|
|Level 50||Reach level 50||Respect Spray|
|Survival Expert||Use Health Packs to heal 900 health in a single life in quick or competitive play.||Pinata Spray|
|The Friend Zone||Play a quick or competitive play game in a group with a friend||Man and Omnic Spray|
|The Path is Closed||Destroy 3 of Symmetra’s Teleporters in a single quick or competitive game||Sorry Spray|
|Undying||Get a 20 player kill streak in a quick or competitive game||Tea Time Spray|
- Survival Expert: You must actually restore lost health to work towards this achievement so pick a Tank with a big health pool like Roadhog or Reinhardt and learn the locations of those health packs.
- The Path is Closed: Make this easier by listening out for your teammates calls that they’ve located a teleporter. Get there first and deal with the problem. Luck and persistence is going to be called for here.
Offense Achievements and Trophies
Each of Overwatch’s Offense category of Heroes has an Achievement or two associated with it. Here’s what you’ll need to do to unlock the lot of them.
|Clearing the Area||Knock an enemy to their death using Pharah’s Concussive Blast in quick or competitive play||Pixel Spray|
|Death From Above||Kill 4 enemies in a row without torching the ground as Pharah in quick or competitive play.||Cute Spray|
|Die Die Die… Die||Kill 4 enemies with a single use of Reaper’s Death Blossom in quick or competitive play||Cute Spray|
|It’s High Noon||Get 4 killing blows with a single use of McCree’s Deadeye in quick or competitive play||Cute Spray|
|Rocket Man||Get 2 killing blows with a single use of Soldier: 76’s Helix Rockets in quick or competitive play||Pixel Spray|
|Slice and Dice||Kill 4 enemies with a single use of Genji’s Dragonblade in quick or competitive play||Cute Spray|
|Special Delivery||Stick 4 of Tracer’s Pulse Bombs onto enemies in a single quick or competitive play game||Cute Spray|
|Target Rich Environment||Kill 4 enemies with a single use of Soldier: 76’s Tactical Visor in quick or competitive play||Cute Spray|
|Their Own Worst Enemy||Kill 2 enemies with a single use of Genji’s Deflection in quick or competitive play||Pixel Spray|
|Total Recall||Recover 400 health using Tracer’s Recall without dying in quick or competitive play||Pixel Spray|
|Waste Not, Want Not||Get 3 solo kills with a single clip of Reaper’s shotguns in quick or competitive play||Pixel Spray|
|Whoa There!||Interrupt an enemy ultimate ability with McCree’s Flashbang in quick or competitive play||Pixel Spray|
Here are some tips for completing some of the trickier or less obvious Offense Achievements and Trophies in Overwatch.
- Clearing the Area: The massive well on Ilios provides an easy spot to tick this one off.
- Die Die Die…Die: The easiest way to tick off this one is to sneak up on a cluster of enemies by an objective and then unleash all hell.
- Rocket Man: As with Their Own Worst Enemy, find a couple of near-death defending enemies and let rip.
- Slice and Dice: Again, find a cluster of enemies and slice ’em up. Keep in mind that Swift Strike pops for each enemy you kill, so use it to stay agile.
- Waste Not, Want Not: Almost certainly requires headshots due to the limited (8) amount of ammo in Reaper’s clips. Sneak up to a group in Wraith Form then get popping fast.
- Their Own Worst Enemy: Find a pair of near-death enemies and then target damage back at them. Will most likely take more than a few attempts!
- Death From Above: Again, look for an objective full of enemy Heroes and unleash hell into them from a position of height. Don’t forget to hover as well as! Easier to achieve on claustrophobic maps like King’s Row.
Defense Achievements and Trophies
Overwatch’s Defense class of Heroes also have their own special batch of Achievements. Some are trickier than others, and we’ll bring you tips for ticking off each one in the very near future.
|Armor Up!||Have one of Torbjorn’s Armor Packs on 5 allies at the same time in quick or competitive play||Pixel Spray|
|Charge!||Kill 4 enemies with a single use of Bastion’s Configuration: Tank in quick or competitive play||Cute Spray|
|Cold Snap||Freeze 4 enemies at once with Mei in quick or competitive play||Cute Spray|
|Did that Sting?||Kill 4 enemies using Widowmaker’s Venom Mine during a single quick or competitive play game||Pixel Spray|
|Ice Blocked||Block 1200 Damage with a single use of Mei’s Ice Wall in quick or competitive play||Pixel Spray|
|Mine Like a Steel Trap||Knock an enemy into your Steel Trap using Junkrat’s Concussion Mine in quick or competitive play||Pixel Spray|
|Raid Wipe||Kill 4 enemies during a single use of Torbjorn’s Molten Core in quick or competitive play||Cute Spray|
|Roadkill||Kill 4 enemies with a single use of Junkrat’s RIP-Tire in quick or competitive play||Cute Spray|
|Simple Geometry||Get 2 killing blows with a single use of Hanzo’s Scatter Arrow in quick or competitive play||Pixel Spray|
|Smooth as Silk||Kill an enemy with a Scoped Headshot while airborne as Widowmaker in quick or competitive play||Cute Spray|
|The Dragon is Sated||Kill 4 enemies with one of Hanzo’s Spirit Dragons in quick or competitive play||Cute Spray|
|Triple Threat||Kill 2 enemies in each of Bastion’s Configurations without dying in quick or competitive play||Pixel Spray|
Here are some useful tips for ticking off some of the tougher Achievements and Trophies in the Defense category.
- Armor Up!: To deliberately unlock this Trophy you’re going to need a team of friends. Gather 200 scrap and drop four packs somewhere safe. Then get enough scrap to make one more. Finally, have your team pick up just one of them each.
- Charge: To increase your odds of ticking off this Trophy, make sure you wait for the enemies to bunch up together, then unleash unholy hell upon them. Fingers crossed this should get the job done.
- Cold Snap: Again, wait for the enemy to cluster up before dropping your Ultimate. Don’t forget you can use your regular freeze effects to contribute to the tally for this Trophy as well.
- Did that Sting?: Drop your mine on a chokepoint, then finish off any enemy that steps on it. Rinse and repeat.
- Ice Blocked: D.Va’s Ultimate creates one of the most powerful sources of damage in the game, so put a protective icy shield up in front of your team before she detonates!
- Mine Like A Steel Trap: There’s no quick way of ticking off this one and you’re going to need a lot of luck and perseverance. Just be ready to slap a trap beneath any enemies you blast into the sky.
- Raid Wipe: Position your turret somewhere beyond the enemy team’s knowledge, then wait for them to cluster up. Pop your Q, then charge in – you have huge survivability as an enraged Torbjorn.
- Roadkill: Once again it’s Capture Points to the rescue for this Trophy. The blast radius is pretty generous, so feed your RIP-Tire in from a safe approach and then blow them all to smithereens.
- Simple Geometry: Maps with small rooms and passages where enemies like to skulk make this Trophy much easier to unlock. Fire at the ceiling and pray you manage to take out a couple of injured opponents.
- Smooth as Silk: You can actually cheese this Trophy pretty easily by jumping immediately after scoring a headshot. It feels like cheating but it’s a lot easier than the alternative…
- The Dragon is Sated: If you play much Hanzo at all then you’ll get this ticked off easily enough in time. Fire into an objective that’s under heavy attack and you’re practically guaranteed to unlock this Trophy
- Triple Threat: To make life a little easier here, claim your first victims in mobile mode, then get the next pair in sentry mode. Finally, get blasting away in your Ultimate tank mode.
Our most popular Overwatch articles:
Tank Achievements and Trophies
If you like providing a handy meatshield for your team, then these are the Achievements you can work towards within the Tank category of Heroes.
|Anger Management||Damage 6 enemies a single use of Winston’s Primal Rage in quick or competitive play||Cute Spray|
|Game Over||Kill 4 enemies with a single use or D.Va’s Self Destruct in quick or competitive play||Cute Spray|
|Giving you the Hook||Interrupt an enemy Ultimate ability with Roadhog’s Hook in quick or competitive play||Pixel Spray|
|Hog Wild||Knock 2 enemies to their deaths with one use of Roadhog’s Whole Hog in quick or competitive play||Cute Spray|
|I am Your Shield||Block 8000 damage with Reinhardt’s Barrier Field without dying in quick or competitive play||Pixel Spray|
|Mine Sweeper||Destroy 10 Turrets or Traps using Winston’s Tesla Cannon without dying in quick or competitive play||Pixel Spray|
|Power Overwhelming||Keep Zarya’s Particle Cannon above 70 Power for 60 seconds in quick or competitive play||Pixel Spray|
|Shot Down||Prevent 1500 damage with a single use of D.Va’s Defense Matrix in quick or competitive play||Pixel Spray|
|Storm, Earth and Fire||Land Reinhardt’s Fire Strike and Charge after an Earthshatter Stun in quick or competitive play||Cute Spray|
|The Power of Attraction||Capture 5 enemies in a single use of Zarya’s Graviton Surge in quick or competitive play||Cute Spray|
Support Achievements and Trophies
There aren’t quite as many Support Achievements at the time of publishing this article, but that’ll hopefully change once the game is launched.
|Group Health Plan||Restore 200 health for 5 players without dying as Mercy in quick or competitive play||Pixel Spray|
|Huge Rez||Resurrect 4 players at once with Mercy in quick or competitive play||Cute Spray|
|Huge Success||Teleport 20 players in a single quick or competitive play game as Symmetra||Cute Spray|
|Rapid Discord||Get 4 kills or assists with Zenyatta’s Orb of Discord within 6 seconds in quick or competitive play||Pixel Spray|
|Supersonic||Block 1000 damage with a single use of Lucio’s Sound Barrier in quick or competitive play||Cute Spray|
|The Car Wash||Hit an enemy with 7 beams simultaneously as Symmetra in quick or competitive play||Pixel Spray|
|The Floor is Lava||Get 3 killing blows while riding as Lucio without dying in quick or competitive play||Pixel Spray|
|Naptime||Interrupt an enemy Ultimate ability with Ana’s Sleep Dart in quick or competitive play.||Pixel Spray|
|Enabler||Get 4 kills or assists with a single use of Ana’s Nano Boost in quick or competitive play||Cute Spray|
|The Iris Embraces You||Restore 1500 health with a single use of Zenyatta’s Transcendence in quick or competitive play||Cute Spray|
Finally, there’s the Maps collection of Achievements. Here’s what you’ll need to do to unlock all of the bonus Sprays associated with them.
|Can’t Touch This||Prevent the attacking team from touching the Payload for 1 minute in quick or competitive play||Red X Spray|
|Double Cap||Capture both objectives on a capture map without dying in quick or competitive play||Beyond The Moon Spray|
|Escort Duty||Push a payload 100 meters without leaving it in quick or competitive play||Out of my Way Spray|
|Lockdown||Win a capture map on defense without losing the first objective in quick or competitive play||Jail Spray|
|Shutout||Win a control map without the enemy capturing an objective in quick or competitive play||Red O Spray|
|Word Traveler||Win a quick or competitive play game on 12 different maps||GL HF Spray|