Everything you need to know about the next Hearthstone expansion.
Our Hearthstone Kobolds and Catacombs guide contains a card list, release date information, new mechanics and mission details.
The next Hearthstone expansion is called Kobolds and Catacombs. The news was leaked ahead of Blizzard‘s annual BlizzCon fan-gathering in Anaheim, Los Angeles. Full details were subsequently revealed in the opening keynote and the Hearthtone-specific panel a little later on after that.
Since then we’ve seen plenty of card reveals, and we’re busy adding them all to this article as soon as each one is announced. As well as that, we’ve also got the full lowdown on all other aspects of the expansion, so check the links further down the page for everything you need to know about Kobolds and Catacombs.
Update – 6th December 2017
We’ve been busy producing deck guides for theorycrafted archetypes over the last couple of days, and we’ve created a new section in this guide so you can jump straight into the latest creations on launch day. All of these guides will be updated continuously throughout the launch window and beyond, so you can be sure of playing the most refined version of each deck!
Use the following links to quickly navigate to the section of the guide you’re most interested in right now!
1. Kobolds and Catacombs Decks and Useful Guides
2. Kobolds and Catacombs Cards
3. Kobolds and Catacombs General FAQ and Trailer
4. Kobolds and Catacombs Release Date and Pre-Order Promotion
Kobolds and Catacombs Decks and Useful Guides
First up, here are some very useful launch guides:
- Dungeon Run guide – Absolutely everything you need to know about the new single-player content in Hearthstone, with boss tips and advice for picking the best upgrades as you progress through each dungeon.
Here’s our growing list of deck guides that have been theorycrafted ahead of the expansion launch. No one knows what the final form of each one will look like (or how powerful they’ll prove in the long run), but this will give you something to get going with on launch day. There will be many updates to each one, both at launch and throughout the entire Kobolds meta.
- 1. Big Hunter – Big Hunter deck list guide
- 2. Big Spell Mage – Big Spell Mage deck list guide
- 3. Big Warrior – Big Warrior deck list guide
- 3. Control Warlock – Control Warlock deck list guide
- 4. Dragon Priest – Dragon Priest deck list guide
- 5. Elemental Shaman – Elemental Shaman deck list guide
- 6. Exodia Mage – Exodia Mage deck list guide
- 7. Face Hunter – Face Hunter deck list guide
- 8. Overload Control Shaman – Overload Control Shaman deck list guide
- 9. Quest Rogue – Quest Rogue deck list guide
- 10. Quest Warlock – Quest Warlock deck list guide
- 11. Recruit Druid – Recruit Druid deck list guide
- 12. Secret Tempo Mage – Secret Tempo Mage deck list guide
- 13. Spell Hunter – Spell Hunter deck list guide
- 14. Spell Priest – Spell Hunter deck list guide
- 15. Totem Shaman – Totem Shaman deck list guide
- 16. Weapon Rogue – Weapon Rogue deck list guide
Kobolds and Catacombs Cards
In this section of our guide we’ll be adding details of all the new Kobolds and Catacombs cards as and when they’ve been revealed by Blizzard. Following the flurry of new card reveals at BlizzCon, we’ve been treated to an ongoing set of reveals in the run-up to the December 7th launch of Kobolds and Catacombs.
We’ll be updating this section on a daily basis.
Neutral cards – Kobolds and Catacombs
|Dire Mole||Feral Gibberer||Rummaging Kobold||Zola the Gorgon|
|Wax Elemental||Gravelsnout Knight||Void Ripper||The Darkness|
|Plated Beetle||Scorp-o-matic||Shimmering Courser||King Togwaggle|
|Boisterous Bard||Lone Champion||Carnivorous Cube||Marin the Fox|
|Dragonslayer||Shrieking Shroom||Arcane Tyrant||Master Oakheart|
|Sewer Crawler||Ebon Dragonsmith||Spiteful Summoner|
|Toothy Chest||Kobold Monk||Corridor Creeper|
|Cursed Disciple||Furbolg Mossbinder||Grand Archivist|
|Fungal Enchanter||Hungry Ettin||Dragonhatcher|
Druid cards – Kobolds and Catacombs
|Ironwood Golem||Barkskin||Twig of the World Tree|
|Greedy Sprite||Oaken Summons|
|Grizzled Guardian||Lesser Jasper Spellstone|
|Astral Tiger||Branching Paths|
|Ixlid, Fungal Lord|
Hunter cards – Kobolds and Catacombs
|Cave Hydra||Flanking Strike||Candleshot|
|Seeping Oozeling||Wandering Monster||Rhok’delar|
|Kathrena Winterwisp||Lesser Emerald Spellstone|
|To My Side!|
Mage cards – Kobolds and Catacombs
|Arcane Artificer||Shifting Scroll||Aluneth|
|Raven Familiar||Lesser Ruby Spellstone|
|Leyline Manipulator||Explosive Runes|
|Dragoncaller Alanna||Deck of Wonders|
Paladin cards – Kobolds and Catacombs
|Drygulch Jailor||Potion of Heroism||Unidentified Maul|
|Benevolent Djinn||Lesser Pearl Spellstone||Val’anyr|
|Crystal Lion||Level Up!|
|Lynessa Sunsorrow||Call to Arms|
Priest cards – Kobolds and Catacombs
|Gilded Gargoyle||Psionic Probe||Dragon Soul|
|Twilight Acolyte||Twilight’s Call|
|Temporus||Lesser Diamond Spellstone|
Rogue cards – Kobolds and Catacombs
|Cavern Shinyfinder||Cheat Death||Kingsbane|
|Kobold Illusionist||Sudden Betrayal|
|Elven Minstrel||Lesser Onyx Spellstone|
Shaman cards – Kobolds and Catacombs
|Kobold Hermit||Healing Rain||The Runespear|
|Murmuring Elemental||Crushing Hand|
|Windshear Stormcaller||Primal Talismans|
|Grumble, Worldshaker||Lesser Sapphire Spellstone|
Warlock cards – Kobolds and Catacombs
|Kobold Librarian||Dark Pact||Skull of the Man’ari|
|Vulgar Homunculus||Lesser Amethyst Spellstone|
|Rin, the First Disciple|
Warrior cards – Kobolds and Catacombs
|Gemstudded Golem||Unidentified Shield||Bladed Gauntlet|
|Drywhisker Armorer||Gather Your Party||Woecleaver|
|Kobold Barbarian||Lesser Mithril Spellstone|
|Geosculptor Yip||Reckless Fury|
Kobolds and Catacombs FAQ
Here’s a complete overview of everything that’s coming with Kobolds and Catacombs.
- The expansion will be released on Thursday 7th December 2017 in the US and Thursday 8th December in the UK, Europe and Asia Pacific regions.
- Thematically it goes back to the roots of monsters, treasures and traps.
- A total of 135 playable cards will be included with the set.
- Marin the Fox will be released for free on Monday, ahead of the expansion! Everyone gets this card, but attendees get the Golden version.
- Recruit is the new keyword. Recruit cards immediately summon a minion from your deck and put them into play. Some minions are randomly chosen, others have specific requirements/categories. The first, basic edition of our Recruit guide is live now, and we’ll be piling all the latest information into that page as it’s confirmed at BlizzCon.
- Legendary weapons are coming for all nine Heroes in the game! Even heroes that cannot typically make use of weapons will now be able to do so through their new Legendary. Our Legendary Weapons guide has more detail on how these new cards will work.
- Spellstones are coming. These are cards that grow in your hand if you choose to keep them and meet certain conditions such as gaining so much Armor or Overloading by a certain amount. You’ll have to juggle whether to spend or grow these cards further. Have a look through our Spellstone guide for a deeper dive on the new category of cards.
- Unidentified Items will be added to the game These are cards that provide a fixed bonus – such as granting a minion +2 / +2 stats – as well as a secondary bonus that is hidden until the card is drawn into a player’s hand. There will be Unidentified Elixirs, Shields and Weapons when the expansion launches. Check out our Unidentified Items guide for the full lowdown
- There’ll be a new single player experience called the Dungeon Run!
- The Dungeon Run has you defeating bosses, getting loot and levelling your characters. You’ll start with 10 cards in your deck and earn more as you beat bosses, but you’ll be kicked out the minute you fail an encounter.
- You don’t need any cards whatsoever to get stuck into Dungeon Run! The first edition of our Dungeon Run guide is live now if you want to find out even more detail on this exciting new addition to Hearthstone.
Here’s the trailer that was released a little earlier on this evening:
And here’s the new game board that will land with the expansion:
Free card – Marin the Fox
The full card art and text for Marin the Fox (the free card every BlizzCon attendee or Virtual Ticket holder will receive) was leaked just ahead of the show’s start. Apparently it was emailed to certain Blizzard account holders ahead of schedule…
What’s the Treasure Chest mechanic though? Well, we now know from the main Hearthstone panel that when you manage to bust open this passive target, you’ll draw into one of the following options:
- Golden Kobold – Taunt. Battlecry: Replace your hand with Legendary minions.
- Master Chest – Deathrattle: Give your opponent a fantastic treasure!
- Tolin’s Goblet – Draw a card and fill your hand with copies of it.
- Wondrous Wand – Draw 3 cards. Reduce their Costs to 0.
- Zarog’s Crown – Discover a Legendary minion. Summon two copies of it.
For a deeper dive on this character, make sure you take a look at our Marin the Fox guide. We’ll be adding counter advice and deck suggestions to that article as soon as he lands in the game!
Kobolds and Catacombs Release Date and Pre-order
Kobolds and Catacombs will be released on Thursday 7th December 2017 in the US, with other regions following in the early hours of the 8th.
A pre-order promotion is also now live, allowing you to buy a 50 pack bundle of expanison cards at a reduced rate. To check prices and make your purchase, visit the US ($49.99) and EU (£44.99) stores.
Those have pre-ordered will receive the following “For the Hoard” card back for their cosmetic collection: