Everything you need to know about efficient gear levelling in Destiny 2.
Our Destiny 2 Power levelling guide explains how to raise your Power rating from 260 to 335 and get ready for the Raid Lair.
There are two aspects to levelling in Destiny 2. First of all there’s your base character level, which you take on its journey from Level 1 to Level 25, in much the same way as you would in any RPG you’ve played in the past. Simple enough.
Slightly more complicated though is the Power level system in the game. Each piece of equipment you use has its own independent Power rating, and these are added up and then averaged to make your character’s Power level.
Why does this matter? Well, certain activities in the game like regular Strikes, Nightfall Strikes and Raids have minimum Power threshold requirements before you can even set foot inside. For this reason, many players are interested in finding the most efficient way to level it up, so that the minimum amount of time is spent actually getting inside the end-game content.
This is where our Power levelling guide comes in. First of all we’ve got a brief overview of how to actually complete the 1-20 character journey in as efficient a manner as possible. After that, we’ve got some tips for getting your character Power level above 260 and towards the cap of 335 in as painless a fashion as possible.
Editor’s UPDATE #2: Towards the bottom of the page we’ve added a huge update on the most efficient ways of power levelling to the new Power Level cap of 335. We’re aware it’s a lengthy scroll, but we wanted to keep things in chronological order for those coming to the game fresh. Stay tuned for more!
Getting to level 20
You can level from 1 to 20 using all kinds of activities in Destiny 2. If it provides EXP, it’ll count towards the progress bar for each level of the journey. The story campaign, Lost Sectors, Adventures and even just picking off random enemies all counts towards progress.
The campaign itself should take you most of the way to the character level cap, but keep in mind that if you manage to finish every mission and still aren’t 20, the final NPC you speak to will boost your level up to the maximum.
We’ll make an important note here, however:
You should not hand in any location tokens while you’re levelling up. The gear you gain just isn’t worth it at this stage, and you are much better off using these tokens at a high level when it gets much harder to level up your Power.
Tips to power through the campaign
- If you really want to reach level 20 fast, you’ll have to cut some corners.
- Whenever the objective requires you to move to another area, simply ignore all the enemies and run past them. There’s absolutely no penalty for doing so!
- At certain points in the campaign, you’ll have to reach a certain level in order to progress. It’ll recommend that you participate in Adventures, Strikes and other activities. Ignore this advice and focus solely on grinding Public Events. These are much faster, grant you better gear and give you more EXP.
- Following on from our point above, if you’re struggling to find people to do Public Events with, check where the weekly Flashpoint is and head to that specific planet. Chances are people will be aiming to complete this Milestone and you’ll encounter far more Guardians in the process.
- As we’ve said above, there’s no need to worry about reaching level 20 before the campaign ends. Once you’ve completed the final mission it’ll automatically boost you there anyway.
Once you reach Level 20, you’re ready to start levelling up your Power rating.
How to reach Power 260+
This bit’s relatively simple. Whatever your Power level happens to be when you hit Level 20, you can grind your gear level all the way up to around 265 by completing whatever content floats your boat and you’re able to complete quickly.
That means farming Public Events, completing Strikes, diving into the Crucible for PVP matches and so on. If it rewards an Engram, it’s good for the process. We’ll stress again though that you should keep hold of any faction tokens you’ve been picking up until you’re Level 265.
Levelling your Power from 265-270
Once you’ve hit Power 265, it’s recommended that you start handing in all of those faction/location tokens you’ve been hoarding to the various NPCs. If you’ve been diligently beavering away at events around the world, you may well have enough at this point to hit 270.
How to increase your Power past 270
When you’re Power 270, do the Nightfall Strike that’s active and open up the Luminous Engram reward to get an easy two or three extra points of Power. You can also get Luminous Engrams from completing the campaign, levelling up with your Clan and completing the Crucible quest.
Once that’s done, do the following four Exotic Quests as these will give you a huge boost:
- 1. Mida Mini-Tool / Multi-Tool – Earth
- 2. Sturm and Drang – Nessus
- 3. The Rat King – Titan
Increasing your Power level from 280+
When you reach Power level 280, you can start purchasing Legendary Mods which should grant an extra five points or so to each piece of equipment you upgrade.
From here on out, you’ll want to gather a fireteam and take on Trials of the Nine or the Leviathan Raid. Doing both of these activities will reward you with Powerful Gear and are guaranteed to lift your power level even further.
In your downtime, it’s best to grind Heroic Public Events until you can’t take it anymore. Otherwise, you’re best off ploughing through every weekly Milestone at 290+ and attempting the Raid or participating in Crucible/Trials as much as you can.
Curse of Osiris: Getting to Power level 330
Destiny 2’s first expansion the Curse of Osiris has arrived, and with it, an increased max Power Level of 335.
So this means the Power level cap’s been raised by +25 (or +30 including Legendary Mods) and your main motivation for getting there? A greater chance of success when it comes to tackling the brand new Raid Lair.
If you’re after a complete breakdown of everything we know so far about the new Raid Lair, along with a full walkthrough once we’ve had a chance to dive in ourselves, do make sure to bookmark our Raid Lair: Eater of Worlds guide.
Without further ado, lets head straight into the most efficient way to boost your Power Level all the way up to 330.
- It’s essential that you’ve completed the Curse of Osiris campaign and the Adventures Brother Vance gives you immediately afterwards. The campaign itself isn’t particularly long, and you can blast through it within a good 2-3 hours.
- Head back to Ikora once you’ve completed the campaign as she’ll have an Exotic waiting for you. This is a nice, free boost to kick things off.
- Your next step is to begin farming Exotic Engrams. We know it’s easier said than done, but you can increase your chances of receiving these elusive Engrams by participating in – you guessed it – Heroic Public Events. If you’ve got the Bright Dust, buy a Fireteam Medallion to up your chances as well – every little helps.
- Alongside farming Exotics, you’ll want to prioritise completion of your Milestones. Again, these scale with your current Power Level so it’s best to save these as late as you can before the weekly reset.
- Brother Vance’s Lost Prophecies are a great way of obtaining weapons that are guaranteed to be higher than your current Power Level. Although the grind to get these are long, you may stumble across Exotic Engrams while gathering the materials required to craft them.
- Finally, the normal mode Leviathan Raid is easily your best bet at power levelling to 330. You’re guaranteed a 335 Power Level drop upon defeating Calus!
- If you’ve hit the dizzying heights of 330 or 325, it’s time to throw some Legendary Mods into your weapons and armour for an additional boost.
Tips for levelling a second or third character
Below we’ve put together a few tips to sky rocket your second or third character’s power level quickly and efficiently.
- Make sure you transfer a Sparrow over to your alternate characters as it’ll make powering through the campaign and other activities so much faster!
- On your main character, make sure you begin storing weapons of a high power level in the vault. This way, when you other Guardians hit level 20, you simply equip them for an easy boost.
- IF you’ve got enough Legendary Shards, make sure you visit Xur every week and buy everything he has to offer. This way, you’ll have a guaranteed Exotic armour piece at power level 270 for each subclass. Equip this on your alternate character when they hit 20 for a nice boost.
- When you’re levelling another character, save your reputation tokens until after you’ve equipped more powerful weaponry from your main. This way you’ll see a bigger boost to the Engrams you receive.
- Public Events are the quickest, easiest ways of raising your Power Level once you hit 20.