Fortnite: Battle Royale – Download size and how to install (PS4, Xbox One and PC / Mac)
How to get the game on your system, whatever your platform of choice happens to be.
Fortnite exploded in popularity last year, and after Epic Games had added a Battle Royale mode to what was previously a co-op PVE game.
Since then the team have kept the game fresh with a steady stream of new and updated content, and it’s never been in better shape.
If you’ve not yet got around to playing the game yourself and want to learn more about the download size and installation process, we’ve got you covered.
When you’re done with this article, you’ll know:
- How to download Fortnite on PC, Mac, PS4 or Xbox
- The download size for Fortnite
Download size: Consoles, PC and Mobile
Here’s a list of approximate download sizes for every system, based on data release with the launch of version 8.30 *
- PC: 6.93GB
- Mac: 7.7GB
- PS4: 3.9GB
- Xbox: 4.06GB
- Nintendo Switch: 3.93GB
- iOS: 1.76GB
- Android: 2.98GB
*As it’s an ever-changing game with frequent updates and patches, these numbers are likely to increase as time goes by.
With the first major map update the game’s file size actually decreased by a good 2GB on both our PC and PS4.
It’s highly likely this is the case with Xbox One versions of the game too. It’s all thanks to increased optimisation fixes that make things run even more smoothly.
Expect more tweaks from the development team over time.
How to find, download and install Fortnite: Battle Royale
Below we’ll take you through the process of how to get the game installed on your system.
- On your main menu screen, go to the PS Store.
- Type ‘Fort’ into the search bar. Click on Fortnite: Battle Royale when it appears in the suggestions box to the right.
- Once you land on the official page, simply click the download button and your PS4 will do the rest.
- You can check the progress of your download by clicking the notifications icon in the main menu.
- On your home page, navigate to the search bar and type in ‘Fortnite’.
- The suggestions bar at the top of the screen will now suggest a load of Fornite games. You want the one titled ‘Fortnite: Battle Royale’, not ‘Fortnite: Battle Royale Standard’ or ‘Deluxe’.
- Simply click install and your Xbox will get the game downloaded, installed and ready to play!
- Go to https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/buy-now/battle-royale
- On this page, click the bottom left ‘Download’ link.
- At this point you’ll need to create an account with Epic Games or sign in with one of your existing social media accounts.
- Once you’ve gone through verification, download the Epic Games Launcher.
- Open it up, log in with your account and navigate to the Fortnite tab.
- Click install and you’ll be good to go.