Our guide to climbing the ladder with Malygos Rogue at the start of the Boomsday meta.
Our Malygos Rogue deck list guide features the best Ashes of Outland deck list for Season 73 of Hearthstone (April 2020). Our Malygos Rogue guide also contains Mulligan advice, card combos and strategy tips.
Malygos Rogue is a deck that seeks to gather plenty of spell damage cards together, get the titular Malygos card in-hand as well, and then use its devastating damage-boosting effect to obliterate the opponent’s health pool. Galakrond, the Nightmare plays a strong role in Malygos Rogue this time around, as we’ll show you
Unlike some other Rogue decks, it’s not easy to play Malygos Rogue to a consistently high standard. If you’ve shied away from other decks that rely on juggling complex combos, you should probably give this one a miss as well. If, on the other hand, you live to pile calculation onto calculation, then you’re going to love playing this one.
In our first Malygos Rogue update for the new meta you’ll find a theorycrafted deck list and an overview of the strategy involved in played it – expect big updates for that section once the expansion is under way.
Malygos Rogue deck list and strategy
This version of Malygos Rogue is about as good as it gets as we kick off the Ashes of Outland meta.
|2 x Preparation
|2 x Devoted Maniac
|2 x Shadowstep
|2 x Shield of Galakrond
|1 x Togwaggle’s Scheme
|1 x Kronx Dragonhoof
|2 x Sinister Strike
|1 x Kael’thas Sunstrider
|2 x Sap
|1 x Malygos
|2 x Eviscerate
|2 x Fan of Knives
|2 x Seal Fate
|2 x Umbral Skulker
|2 x Unidentified Contract
|1 x Heistbaron Togwaggle
|2 x Sprint
|1 x Galakrond, the Nightmare
Select and copy the long ID string below, then create a deck in Hearthstone to export this deck into your game.
Deck Import ID: AAECAaIHBrQDr5EDkpcD47QDrroDy8ADDO0CzQP2BJsFxgWIB4YJ85QDtq4D/q4Dqq8Dzq8DAA==
More great Rogue guides:
- 1. Best Budget Decks – Hearthstone: Best Budget Decks for Ashes of Outland
- 2. Tier List – Hearthstone deck tier list (Ashes of Outland)
- 3. Stealth Rogue – Stealth Rogue deck list guide (Ashes of Outland)
- 4. Tempo Rogue – Tempo Rogue deck list guide (Ashes of Outland)
- 5. Secret Rogue – Secret Rogue deck list guide (Ashes of Outland)
- 6. Galakrond Rogue – Galakrond Rogue deck list guide (Ashes of Outland)
- 7. Malygos Rogue – Malygos Rogue deck list guide (Ashes of Outland)
Your main objective is to get Malygos onto the board so that your damage spells are significantly increased in strength. Cards like Eviscerate and Sinister Strike are key parts of that game-finishing damage.
Malygos can be duplicated with Togwaggle’s Scheme, and discounted to 0 mana with a fully-invoked Galakrond, the Nightmare. However, this is far from reliable, and you’ll often have to make smart plays around this. For example, if your Umbral Skulker gives you a couple coins, you might be able to just play Malygos from hand and hit face for a big bunch of damage by using your Coins and spells.
You’re trying to survive as long as possible with this deck, so don’t be afraid to use your spells to take out enemy minions. Of course, they’ll ideally go face, but sometimes you have to stop being greedy.
Malygos Rogue Mulligan guide
These are the cards you should prioritise keeping during the Mulligan phase of each game.
- 1. Sap stifles enemy momentum early on, and forces them to spend mana again to get on board.
- 2. Devoted Maniac lets you start getting Invokes in, setting you up for a later combo. It’ll also give you a Lackey in hand to help out.
- 3: Fan of Knives can be really helpful against board-flooding enemy decks trying to take you out with aggression. The fact it cycles your deck is super helpful too.
Malygos Rogue tips, combos and synergies
Malygos Rogue is not an easy deck for new players, and it’s vital you always keep track of your maths to see just how close you are to lethal damage. To help you get on top of all that, here’s a look at all of the core synergies available in this collection of cards.
– Casting Preparation means the next spell you cast on the same turn will cost 2 mana less. This is important both because it reduces the likes of Eviscerate to 0 mana, but it also sets you up for a solid Kael’thas Sunstrider proc, reducing another spell to 0 mana.
– Eviscerate and Sinster Strike are powerful parts of your game-ending Malygos turn, so calculate your damage potential carefully at all times. Play a card before Eviscerate if possible to get that bonus Combo damage.
– Umbral Skulker can give you Coins for the future, allowing you to spend more than 10 mana on your later turns. Make sure you don’t have 10 mana crystals when you play a Coin though – you can never have 11/10 mana.
– When planning your damage output, keep in mind that all spells become five damage more powerful when Malygos is out on the board. If you have more than one Malygos in play, that damage boost stacks!