All the latest official information and fan theories in one place.
Our Overwatch Brigitte guide contains tips, tricks, strategy and counter advice, and everything else you need to master the new hero.
Weapon schematics, teases over the forums by none other than the game director Jeff Kaplan himself and tidbits of in-universe fiction that always herald a new character. The hype for Brigitte was certainly strong, even before she arrived in-game.
Following in her father’s footsteps, Brigitte’s a Support hero who specialises in armour and can throw Repair Packs to heal teammates, or damage foes with her long range Flail weapon. What’s more, she’s also got a Barrier Shield that acts as a personal defense mechanism while she swings at enemies in her way. Think of her as a tank / support hybrid that’ll help hold the frontline, as well as keep teammates topped up and healthy.
We’ve put together a guide that’ll take you through everything you need to know about Brigitte, from her background to abilities. You’ll even find some tips and tricks on her specific moves. Right at the bottom of the page we’ve left all her pre-release information if you’re curious about the build-up.
For all the cosmetics on offer for Brigitte, check out our Brigitte Skins, Highlight Intros, Victory Poses, Voice Lines & Emotes page!
Let’s kick things off with a look at Brigitte’s abilities.
- Rocket Flail [LMB] – “Brigitte’s melee weapon has an extended range, enabling her to strike multiple enemies with a single swing.”
- Repair Pack [E] – “Brigitte throws a Repair Pack that can heal an ally. Any healing over that ally’s maximum health provides them with armor instead.”
- Whip Shot [LSHIFT] – “Brigitte throws her flail a long distance, dealing damage and knocking an enemy away from her.”
- Barrier Shield [RMB] – “Brigitte deploys a frontal energy barrier to absorb a limited amount of damage.”
- Shield Bash [RMB + LMB] – “Once her Barrier Shield is deployed, Brigitte can dash forward to stun an enemy.”
- Rally [Q] – “Brigitte moves faster and provides all nearby allies with armor that lasts until it’s removed by damage.”
Rocket Flail tips
- Unlike other Supports, steering yourself out of harm’s way won’t allow you to heal allies effectively. Brigitte relies on landing hits with her Flail in order to produce a healing aura, so get in there and assume your position on the front line.
- It’s really important that you get to grips with the effective range of Brigitte’s Rocket Flail. Before heading into your first match, go to the Training Gound and mess around for ten minutes just smacking around the bots. This’ll will give you a really good grounding in how to manage range, and there’s no substitute for experience here.
- Judge the health of your teammates whenever you’re in a fight, and use this to decide which targets you’ll be hitting as a group. More often than not it’s worth hitting any enemies that are close enough for a clobbering. This way you’ll have that healing aura constantly ticking over!
Repair Pack tips
- Repair Pack’s cooldown is relatively low, so don’t hesitate to use it on damaged allies.
- Ideally it’s best to chuck a Repair Pack to someone who’s on critical health, or a vulnerable ally who needs an extra bit of protection.
- As Repair Pack grants armour if your ally is already on full health, you can use it to buff a teammate before they enter the fray. Giving one of your flankers armour is extremely effective in this context.
- We’d say throwing a Repair Pack to lower health enemies is of a higher priority than tanks.
Whip Shot tips
- Whip Shot’s cooldown is incredibly low, so don’t be afraid to use it early and often.
- Rather like Roadhog’s hook, it’s a skillshot that’s actually quite tricky to land. We recommend testing it out on the moving bots in the Training Ground first before you head into a match.
- Keep an eye out for enemies like Reinhardt, D.Va, Winston or any other hero who’s looking to engage on your team. Whip Shot’s capable of knocking enemies out of their charge, making it a fantastic tool for disrupting aggressors!
- It’s great for a little burst of damage to weaker targets too.
- Barrier Shield is great for getting yourself to the frontline unscathed.
- It’s not as wide as Reinhardt’s Barrier Shield, so don’t focus too much on defending your allies. Instead, use it as a tool to keep yourself alive so you can do your thing, rather than as a protective group tool.
- As well as blocking shots, it’s also capable of blocking Reinhardt’s Earthshatter and D.Va’s Ultimates too.
- Be aware of how much charge you’ve got left on Barrier Shield and consider ducking out of the fight to let it repair.
Shield Bash tips
- Hit a target with Shield Bash and you’ll stun them temporarily. Use this against aggressive enemies engaging on your team, or flankers who are aiming to assassinate your healers.
- It’s brilliant for closing the gap on enemies who are just out of reach, so don’t be afraid to use it as a movement speed boost too!
- If a damage dealer steps out of position, try and clatter them with your Shield Bash. This will open up ample opportunities for you to pick them off and gain the advantage.
- This is a great ability when facing choke points as it’s able to stun through shields. It’s essentially a free stun against heroes like Reinhardt who might be blocking the way.
- Combine the stun with a teammate’s Ultimate to set up an engagement or counter-attack. A great example of this would be following up Shield Bash with an Earthshatter or even using it to make McCree’s life easier with Deadeye.
- Ensure you’re surrounded by allies before using Rally, otherwise all of its benefits will go to waste.
- Following on from the point above, it’s important that you stick near allies that’ll need a health regen boost. Healers and damage dealers will need this more than tanks!
- Rally’s cooldown is very short if you’re landing Brigitte’s abilities frequently. Try and avoid sitting on it for prolonged periods of time, and instead search for opportunities to use it as soon as you can.
- Call out when you’re going to activate Rally so your teammates can prepare for a push.
- Rally’s a great tool for engaging the enemy team, or popping mid-fight to restore everyone’s health and prolong an encounter – hopefully in your team’s favour!
Who is Brigitte Strong and Weak Against?
Here’s a list of heroes that Brigitte’s particularly effective against, as well as those who she might struggle to handle.
You’re able to block D.Va’s Ultimate, and you can stun any flankers that thrive on harassing your backline.
Any enemies that are capable of dealing huge damage to your shield are a serious threat, especially those who are able to chunk your health bar in just a few hits. Sombra’s hack also disables your shield – which isn’t ideal.
Video guides and gameplay
In-Depth Ability Breakdown
We’ve linked a great video below by Overwatch Central which features a complete breakdown of all Brigitte’s abilities and their interactions versus other heroes. It’ll also give you a much better idea of how she plays and what she’s capable of, so make sure you watch the whole thing.
– Keep your allies around you as this way they’ll be passively healed whenever you’re dishing out damage.
– Brigitte charges up her Ultimate extremely quickly in her current state. Make sure you’re using it whenever it’s up!
– Repair Kit combined with Torbjorn’s Armour Pack is very, very strong. Use both on a flanking hero and they’ll be given an armour buffer that’s immensely difficult to break through.
Is Brigitte Meta-changing?
The video we’ve embedded by Your Overwatch investigates whether or not Brigitte’s a meta-changer and how she’ll play in the competitive scene.
– Teams won’t be picking Brigitte as a healing Support. Instead she fulfills more of a crowd-control role, shutting down aggressors or being a general disruptive nuisance in the midst of teamfights.
– You’ve got to keep hitting enemies with her Flail, otherwise you won’t make use of her healing passive. Don’t shy away from a fight, if anything, make sure you’re right in the thick of an engagement.
– Brigitte’s Shield Bash defines her playstyle as it’s a free stun that allow her to kick off a brawl. A perfect counter to enemy Tanks who won’t budge from a chokepoint.
– Do you have those games where your backline is constantly being toppled by flankers? Brigitte could be the answer. Her crowd-control abilities and healing auras are perfect remedies to pesky heroes like Genji or Tracer who won’t stop harassing your healers.
Brigitte: Release Date
Brigitte’s currently available to play right now in Competitive!
Brigitte: Origin Story
Below we’ve linked embedded a video which shows Brigitte’s rise from an engineer to a valiant squire.
Everything below this point refers to the pre-release hype and teases which were released by Blizzard. We’ll keep them here for now so that those who are just catching up can follow the story from her first tease to PTR release!
UPDATE 27th February 2018
We’ve got three huge new updates on Hero 27 for you this morning. First up there’s a weapon schematic that was first revealed by the official US Twitter account for the game. Secondly, it looks as though the Japanese Twitter account might have accidentally leaked the name of Hero 27 as Brigitte. Check Hero 27 Teasers 4 and 5 below for more detail on both these items.
We’ve also been given an extra slice of lore to look over, in the form of a letter written by Torbjorn to his wife after the incident at White Dome. You’ll find this under the second makred Hero 27 Teaser #3 – this bit’s just extra flavour on the combat incident.
Hero 27 Teaser #5
It’s possible that the Japanese Overwatch Twitter account has leaked the name of the new hero via a rather hastily posted tweet – whoops. The tweet has since been deleted, but not before it was captured and posted to Imgur by a quick-fingered Redditor.
Here’s the text with the tell-tale text “Brigitte Tease”. Oh dear…
For those of you who are a little behind in their Overwatch lore, Brigitte is Torbjorn’s daughter.
Hero 27 Teaser #4
Blizzard has released an image on Twitter which appears to show a schematic for the weapon that will be wielded by Hero 27. The tweet is captioned “I’ll knock some sense into you!” and the weapon appears to be named Slaga.
Could this be the weapon wielded by Brigitte (see Teaser #5 above)?
“I’ll knock some sense into you!” pic.twitter.com/WIg2xCQZ0h
Overwatch (@PlayOverwatch) 26 February 2018
Hero 27 Teaser #3
Following the incident outlined in the initial battle reports from the first crop of teasers, Torbjorn wrote a letter to his wife. This was posted as a piece of in-game fiction on an official Overwatch site.
Here’s the image of Torbjorn’s letter, with a full translation from Swedish to English posted just beneath it:
My dear Ingrid,
I know that by now you have gotten news of my injuries in our latest mission. While the descriptions may sound terrible, the doctors are quite sure I’ll make a full recovery. Even Angela came to visit me! On the matter of my arm, I promise to make it my first priority to construct a suitable prosthesis that will make everyone forget that it was ever gone. If only Angela’s dreams of tissue regeneration were a reality! I told her she should be working harder!
They tell me that you have not yet gone into labor, so I am holding out hope that I will be able to be by your side back home in Gothenburg when the time comes. Just wait a little longer for me!
You may have heard that Reinhardt is responsible for saving my life. I’ve heard the story at least four different times myself, already, each time more unbelievable than the last. Exaggerations, as you know how he can be. All the same, they’ve decided to award him a commendation for “conspicuous bravery.” Could two words better describe the big oaf?
He has been bothering me insufferably at my bedside. Half in jest, I suggested that if it would shut him up, I would allow him to name our daughter, as he has been badgering me about it these past months. He, of course, took me at my word. Truth be told, I had been considering making him her godfather, and I hope you’ll forgive me for making this decision without your consultation. We can only hope she doesn’t take after him too much.
I told him that you would have to agree to any name he chose, so let’s hope it’s a good one (though I fear that may be beyond his abilities, given some of the ridiculous names he gives the characters in his “true stories”). I’m getting sick of this hospital, so I am hoping to return soon.
Hero 27 Teaser #2
Shortly after Jeff Kaplan’s post, a fictional report of an in-universe event is posted on the official Overwatch Twitter account:
[DECLASSIFIED] After-Action Report: Operation “WHITE DOME” pic.twitter.com/fvnUQQEFDC
Overwatch (@PlayOverwatch) 23 February 2018
The full text reads as follows:
Subject: After-Action Report, Operation ZX24AL, “White Dome”
“Strike team under the command of myself, CAPTAIN ANA AMARI, was deployed to the outskirts of Istanbul, Turkey to deal with a remaining packet of omnic resistance. Personnel included Lieutenant Reinhardt Wilhelm, Chief Engineer Torbjorn Lindholm, and Private First Class Emre Sarioglu. After routine insertion, the team was ambushed, taking heavy fire from the entrenched omnics. While the team was able to oversome and neutralize all hostile combatants without casulaties, the battle resulted in serious injured to Lindholm and lesser injury to Lt. Wilhelm. Had it not been for Lt. Wilhelm’s timely intervention, it is like that Lindholm would have been killed. Due to conspicuous bravery on the part of Lt. Wilhelm, I am suggesting a commendation for his actions.
This first little tease was enough to set the internet alight, with plenty of chatter and commentary on Reddit and elsewhere.
Hero 27 Teaser #1
Jeff Kaplan made a post on the official forums which appears to confirm that the teaser that’s about to be posted on social media is in fact a reference to Hero 27.
In a thread titled “Can We Have a 27 Hint?” Kaplan simply responds “OK. Incoming. Brace for it…”
Hero 27 Speculation
Here’s a rough breakdown of where the speculation has led us all so far. Credit to the contributors of this Reddit thread for some of the finer detail and insight here:
The following information was gathered prior to the release of the latest leaks. We’ll be expanding on this information in a future update.
- Overwatch’s next event is likely the Uprising anniversary. This event may be reworked for 2018 in order to accommodate a section of this operational storyline. This would require new map assets, however.
- Emre Sarioglu may be the name of the next hero, although based on previous reveals this seems a little too obvious to our ears.
- If it is the case that the name of the next hero has been revealed, Emre is traditionally used as a male name.
- It might be that the injury received by Torbjorn in this combat scenario is the one that caused him to lose sight in one eye.
- If Emre is the new hero, it would seem sensible to assume that he is not a tank character, as Reinhardt is fulfilling that role in the fictional battle. It’s possible though that he was inspired to become a tank after witnessing Reinhardt’s act of bravery.
- The White Dome mentioned in the operation title may refer to the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul, Turkey (pictured above).